Discovering our Historical Treasure And Establishing our Municipal Historical Landmarks to be called:
TAYAK ADVENTURE AND NATURE PARK, THE LANDING POINT and CAMP BAKOD NA BATO (Tourism Priority Project of Vice Mayor Ferdinand O. Sumague)
Col. Gertrudo San Pedro of the USAFFE had been a prisoner of war previously and upon his release August 15, 1942 at 26 years of age, he joined Hugh Straughn’s Fil-American Irregular Troops (FAIT). He started recruiting ex-USAFFE’s, ex-Philippine Scouts, ex-Philippine Constabulary, Philippine Army reservists and trainees, civilian volunteers including professionals to constitute his outfit. His unit became known as the FAIT’s 2nd Division of the III Army Corps under the immediate command of guerrilla Col. Justiniano Estrella, alias Alfredo M. David, who dubbed his corps, David’s Command. After the death of Col. Straughn, Col. Marcos V. Marking took over the FAIT’s command which he drummed up as Marking’s Fil-Americans.
After the Battle of Sta. Isabel Col. San Pedro’s 2nd Division Command headquarter was moved to Tayak Hill (for its commanding view of Laguna) on Mt. San Cristobal near Rizal, Nagcarlan and Liliw. At that time it was called Sitio Tayak. That is a remote barrio. The nearest road to Tayak is passing through Rizal.
On January 24, 1945, Col. San Pedro’s unit was able to rescue three American airmen whose plane had been damaged in a raid on Manila and went down in Laguna de Bay near (Lanhaya) Victoria, Laguna. The men were: Major Charles Howe, Major Thompkins and Sgt. Bretain of the 5th Attack Group, U.S. Army.
American Forces had not yet landed on Luzon so the nearest airstrip was in Mindoro. It was requested that Col. San Pedro’s unit to build an airstrip so a rescue plane could pick up the downed airmen and return them to friendly forces.Col. San Pedro and his men constructed a landing field at Tayak Hill. The landing field is on a plateau wherein the length of the runway is 300 meters, but the approach are already up high enough on high ground when take off, that’s why the problem of a long runway is not necessary because after going 300 meters aircraft are already airborne because of the plateau.
Within a couple weeks Col. San Pedro and his men completed construction of the taxi strip and airfield near Col. San Pedro’s headquarters on Tayak Hill. Intelligence informed authorities that the landing strip had been completed and soon an L-4 Piper observation plane flew in and then flew the men to safety in Mindoro. It was also in this airstrip Mrs. Virginia Llamas Romulo took of to join General Carlos Romulo in Mindoro.
On the strong suggestion of Major Charles Howe, the U.S. Armed Forces started dropping war material and food supplies on February 22, 1945. US Air Force planesC-47 / DC-3 dropped arms, ammunition and food supplies at Tayak Hill Rizal, Laguna, escorted by the P-38, double body and the last is the P-51 Mustang. The American insignia for pursuit is “P” for fighter is “F”. Making the Tayak Hill in Rizal as the main supply depot of arms, ammunition and foods to all guerilla fighting units in the province of Laguna.
Article derived from: Lorenzo Cornista’s “ Guerilla Interview “ San Pablo City Philippines by: David L. Dwiggins And from the Book of: “ FOR LOVE OF FREEDOM ” by Juan B. Hernandez copyrighted 1982 Sponsored by the American Legion Seven-Lakers Post 188 and Veterans Federation of the Philippines San Pablo City Post, Printed by National Printing Company Quezon City Philippines. Researched By: Vice Mayor Ferdinand O. Sumague Demet Formales, Lloyd Cataring, Eunice Visey and Richard Subida
For more information please contact: Vice Mayor Ferdinand O. Sumague Municipal Tourism Officer Mobile: +639189442820 / PLDT LL+: (049) 5732997
Proposed Rizal, Laguna Tourism Development Project: (Click picture to view full-sized image)
Tayak Adventure and Nature Park & The Landing Point Magazine by: BatangRizal (Laguna) Production